Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas week recap

Our first Christmas in our new house was a family affair.   But how to spend 12 days with the kids and DH in our new town...?  A break in his schedule brought DH home the weekend before Christmas and kept him here until the 10th.  Wow, he has been around for a long time.


We put up the Christmas tree.  Talk about massive levels of frustration when strand after strand didn't glow.   Thanks to those  strands of lights that just wouldn't light full or at all, one tree was only happening. With the help of LB & MM, the tree was up and decorated.  We turned on the new base for tree rotation, and after a couple of hours rotation the lights started going out.  Since the base for my tree broke, we had to get a new and one that rotates would be a bonus.  With added patience of DH (no I'm not inventing this), we found that the lights turned out for half the rotation.  The base is going back to Brylan after Christmas is put away.  The replacement better work or I will totally loose it.


For the first time most of the Christmas village came out of the boxes.  These two sets are in the main living room and dining room.  With 4 different firehouses, we put one in each guest room to serve as a holiday night-light.  I also put other pieces in the breakfast nook, front entry, and guest sitting room.  

I'm already planning some changes to my displays for next year.  Part of the changes I'm sure will involve more "staged" settings, and other trees in the house.  Heck we have more then enough ornaments to decorate trees through out the house.

Thanks to the Eagles Theater & Honeywell Center, we had four days on movies to enjoy.  The kids we really up for seeing The Polar Express and Home Alone.  I wanted to see the original Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sims as Scrooge) on the big screen.  With free popcorn at each showing, we had lots of fun with movies & popcorn all week.  

Along with the movies, DH and the kids spent time at the Y playing basketball, tennis, and hitting the pool during my therapy sessions.  We were so thankful for this high activity time to pull off some of the excess energy that only consecutive days home bring on. 

New Year's Eve brought a return guest from the Thanksgiving holiday.  With an early New Year's celebration with his parents done about 10:30, he enjoyed ringing in the New Year with DH, LB, & MM.  I didn't make it this year.  I was so wiped that by 11:15 I was in bed and snoozed through the end of the year.   

2011 continues our year of firsts here in North Manchester, what a lot to look forward to.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Looks pretty!

I crashed and burned well before 11pm on NYE; not even the lure of zombie Dick Clark could keep me awake.

Happy New Home Year. :)

Quilting Mama said...

This is a wonderful house to decorate for the holidays. With so many rooms and tons of furniture, I doubt I'll ever get bored decorating.

Bridget said...

I rang in the new year by myself - Tim and Jetsam conked out around 10:30 ... I would not recommend a repeat ...