Monday, February 2, 2009

A week changes everything

Last Sunday, I spent a wonderful afternoon at Loop enjoying Carol's book signing and visiting with Bridget and Beth. Then six degrees came in the guise of Harriet. We worked together at DAM. But I hadn't seen her for about 8 years. It turns out that her daughter in law and son are friends of Carol's. Small world.

Now I'm looking to get more practice knitting to start socks with the skein of Black Bunny Yarn I picked up. For the past 8 years I've worked one block off South Street, so the fun painted yarn in bright and bold colors was a must.

Work and the kids were the normal crazy through out the week and then Thursday struck. DH became a statistic in this lousy economy. Pepboys cut 11% of the store support staff. There were rumors about another round of layoffs, but DH's position wasn't one that could be outsourced so we didn't think it would effect us directly.

Explaining to the kids, especially MM, was not fun. LB is just cruising through his days, but MM was very upset thinking we would have to move or that she would have to change schools. She's gradually understanding but I think we will be re-explaining pieces until a new job comes on.

Okay so I'm still floored by the changes happening here. Between the stresses at work and the new ones at home, I'm not sure which end it up. Some quiet time and time to talk things through, I'll be back on my more normal track in chaos.

One week later, I'm the primary provider for my family. I've had this responsibility before, but right now too many other things aren't where I'd like them to be. But as one friend told me, God closes one door so another window can open. I just hope the window leads us to a new positive place.

No comments: