Sunday, October 5, 2008

wonderful weekend

Yesterday was a great fun. After morning swim lessons for MM and LB, and my workout time, we headed to New Jersey.

Nana, Grandpa, the kids and I went for a drive to the Garden State Sheep and Fiber Festival. It is a small event, but they have a nice set up and we saw sheep that were new to all of us.

Jacob's Sheep, a biblical breed, according to the sign. Of course I forgot my camera, so all the photos are on Grandpa's. You'll have to wait for the pics of day until next weekend when Grandpa will be down again.

One piece I really commend the organizers on was the last barn with an exploration area for the kids. A hay bale maze, pick your own trees, large scale weaving and knitting. MM found the weaving fun. She spent nearly half and hour weaving lengths of roving through the frame and chatting with the volunteer who was helping out.

LB found running through the maze the best time. With many other boys around his age, this was great. Not having mom or the other adults telling him to hold hands, stay with us, and such was also a great relief.

Since Nana and I don't spin there wasn't as much to fill our bags with, but I did find fun white sparkly yarn part of which will be in my next swap package - sorry no pics for now. Nana picked up alpaca yarn in this lovely warm fawn color for a sweater. The yarn is neat because the farm keeps the fiber sorted by animal so when you purchase any the tag has an id for the yarn weight and which animal generously provide it's coat.

No comments: