Thursday, January 22, 2009

Is it really stash knitting?

So does it count as knitting from stash if it really isn't yours?

I know you're all wondering how does one knit from stash that isn't theirs?
Well here's the story.

I'm loving knitting. Okay I only have finished three projects to date, but I like each one. I've taken Bridget's idea of focusing my gift giving for the next holiday season from my hands and needles. Not having the budget to just go shopping for yarn for all my projects from a real store, I went shopping last weekend at Chez Mom.

In effort of full disclosure, Chez Mom is the wonderfully stocked closet in my former bedroom at my parents. My mom has been knitting for over 50 years. She knits ALL the time and for so many people. My family benefits regularly with sweaters, hats, mittens, and slippers. This year for Hanukkah, mom made slipper socks for our friends, 7 pairs total, and bought a color for one pair and the yarn for two others. From her stash she was able to make 4 1/2 pairs of slipper socks.

Does this give you an idea of the stash available for my private shopping trip? So as any good shopper, I went with a list of people I want to make something for and color ideas. Good to her past purchases, I was able to come home with a BIG Space Bag full.

So again I ask you, does this count as knitting from the stash?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Most people keep their stash in little zippy bags. You know, with the rolling papers...oh never mind. ;)